Note: This is a worksheet for a Hurling Ball Wall Workshop
The Hurling/Football wall is an excellent piece of infrastructure to assist clubs and mentors in essentially having the ability to train year round. Traditionally, the Hurling Wall has been used as a Drill heavy area where many repetitive exercises are done. There are lots of resources on Youtube and online where there is drill after drill of Ball Wall activities. I would ask that you utilise the Wall and the adjoining space differently, to engage the players mind, to challenge him or her in different areas of their game in a more holistic development, as opposed to isolated skill development. Here, I will outline how to mix in the traditional drills with more game based exercises that will develop a more rounded player.
I will use two distinct formats, the traditional “Off the Wall (OTW)” and a more games based “In the Area (ITA)”. I will move between both and show how the drill we used OTW can be then brought into a Games Based environment ITA.
- OTW: In groups of 3, the players line up 5m from the wall, one behind the other. Player 1 handpasses the ball off the wall and player 2 collects the ball, handpasses it off the wall and then player 3 collects and the group repeats.
- ITA: Piggy in the middle, players keep the ball off the designated Piggy by handpassing only.
- Striking for a Catch
- OTW: In groups of 3, same format as above but 10m from wall. Player 1 strikes the ball so that it bounces before the wall and then bounces up for player 2 to catch and repeat for player 3.
- ITA: Piggy in the middle, players keep the ball off the designated piggy by Bounce passing (ball is struck into the ground before bouncing up to partners hand).
- Long Strike and collect
- OTW: In groups of 3 with same format as above but 20m from wall. Player 1 strikes the ball low against the wall and runs into the ball to collect with first touch or catch if above knee. Handpass to player 2 who repeats.
- ITA: Piggy in the middle, players keep the ball off the designated piggy by striking low and hard to partner, who is more than at least 10m away.
- High Catch
- OTW: In groups of 3, player 1 throws the ball high against the wall, player 2 runs in and catches overhead. Player 2 then repeats for Player 3 and they repeat.
- OTW: Same activity but this time the last player 3 will put on token pressure on player 2 while he is trying to catch the ball.
- ITA: Player 1 hits the ball up between Players 2 and 3 who compete trying to win the high ball. The player who loses then becomes the passer and continue this.
- Side Step and Feint
- OTW: In groups of 3 as above, player 1 starts on the 10m line. He passes the ball to player 2, standing on the 20m line, who must try to get past player 1 before striking the ball at the wall and collecting. He then passes to player 3. Player 2 is now the defender and player 3 is the attacker. Keep repeating. (Once the player in possession passes the 10m line, he wins, and the defender stops pressuring)
- ITA: One player goes in goal and he hits the ball out between Player 2 & 3. Whichever player wins it must solo the ball past the 20m line before turning to try to go past his man and score a goal. Continue for 90 seconds, then rotate the goalkeeper.
- Jab Lift:
- ITA: In groups of two. All the balls scattered around the area, player 1 is the designated picker whilst player 2 is the designated defender. Player 1 must try to jab lift as many balls in the 30 seconds as possible, whilst player 2 tries to stop him. Swap roles and repeat 2 times.
- OTW: In pairs, Player 1 runs out and jabs lifts a ball and tries to strike at the goals. Player two tries to hook. Player 1 continues running for 2 more balls and repeat. When this is done, players return to the start and swap roles.
- ITA: 3 vs 3 possession game. Whichever team has the ball after 1 min is the winner. Repeat vs different teams.
- ITA: 2 vs 2 with 1 goalkeeper. Keeper pucks out the ball, whichever team wins the ball, they must try to score a goal after completing 2 passes. Whichever player scores goes in goals for the next possession and repeat. Players can only score by “Flicking” the ball into the goals
- ITA: Criss Cross, make 4 teams with 2 pitches criss-crossing each other. Play for 3 minutes and whichever teams win, play each other and the losing teams play each other.
- OTW: Players in one or two groups, depending on size of group. Each player starts with 3 lives. Player 1 hits the ball against the wall at a target (goal/between cones etc), next player has one touch, then a strike to do the same. If you miss, you lose a life. Last man standing is the winner.
- OTW: Cross bar challenge as a fun game to finish up.